The Mississippi Association of Health Underwriters (MAHU) is a nonprofit professional organization of health insurance professionals dedicated to serving the health insurance needs of small and large employers in our state, and those seeking individual health insurance coverage. We also serve the public by strengthening the insurance industry, advocating for effective legislation, ethical leadership and professional standards, and by educating our members and the clients they serve. Our members strive to obtain insurance for clients who struggle to balance their need to purchase comprehensive health coverage with the reality of rapidly escalating medical care costs.
Our mission is to improve our members’ ability to meet the health, financial and retirement security needs of all consumers through education, advocacy and professional development. Our vision is that every individual will have access to private sector solutions for health, financial and retirement security and the services of licensed insurance professionals.
MAHU members help Mississippians everyday by providing guidance through the complexities of health insurance purchasing and enrollment, while ensuring they obtain the best policy at the most affordable cost. We have a unique understanding of consumer health insurance needs, and agree to abide by the National Association of Health Underwriters (NAHU) Code of Ethics. This requires our members to always make health care coverage recommendations with the client’s best interest in mind.
Our Code of Ethics
- To hold the selling, service and administration of health insurance and related products and services as a professional and public trust and do all in my power to maintain its prestige.
- To keep paramount the needs of those whom I serve.
- To respect my clients' trust in me, and to never do anything which would betray their trust or confidence.
- To give all service possible when service is needed.
- To present policies factually and accurately, providing all information necessary for the issuance of sound insurance coverage to the public I serve.
- To use no advertising which I know may be false or misleading.
- To consider the sale, service and administration of health insurance and related products and services as a career, to know and abide by the laws of any jurisdiction Federal and State in which I practice and seek constantly to increase my knowledge and improve my ability to meet the needs of my clients.
- To be fair and just to my competitors, and to engage in no practices which may reflect unfavorably on myself or my industry.
- To treat prospects, clients and companies fairly by submitting applications which reveal all available information pertinent to underwriting a policy.
- To extend honest and professional conduct to my clients, associates, fellow agents and brokers, and the company or companies whose products I represent.